Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Great names so far!

So far, I've had 3 friends come up with wonderful title suggestions for my latest works. I'm close to making some decisions, but I want to hold off another day to see what else might pop up. Anyone who reads this is welcome to make a suggestion...even if you don't know me! It's always so interesting to see what other people come up with. I've read and had other artist tell me that you shouldn't title your work at all. "Let the viewer see what he/she wants to see." But that seems so, so... impersonal. "Untitled," "Untitled," Untitled." How exciting is that? I do slack off to some degree when it comes to my Wildflowers Squared series. I'm doing dozens of those, ranging from 4-inch to 12-inch square. So I do number them rather than title individually. For example, "Wildflowers Squared(4) No. 1-Blue." And so on (the 4 is superscript, like a mathematical notation). But my big works...they NEED titles. Actually, they NEED names! Names that spark the imagination! Names that pull the viewer deeper into the work so that he/she becomes a part of the painting, a part of the experience. So thank you for looking at the work and letting your mind wander through the wildflowers. Have a great day!

No comments: